October is National Pizza Month, and at Quantum we’re celebrating with an overview of the frozen pizza industry at large. Pizza is an American staple – around 93% of Americans will eat pizza at least once in the next 30 days, and the average American consumes around 23 pounds of pizza per year. This means that each year, an estimated 3 billion pizzas are sold.
Among food manufacturers, frozen pizza production is a smart option that has never gone out of style. With concerns around whether pizza is a healthy alternative to other frozen foods, some manufacturers have begun creating healthier alternatives to boost nutrition. Automation can help manufacturers produce more pizzas with greater consistency, ensuring the best results and the happiest customers.
Is frozen pizza the right choice for my food manufacturing company? In this blog, we explore everything that’s going on in the frozen pizza market, providing industry insights specific to 2021 while looking towards the future.
Frozen Pizza Industry Insights for 2021
The frozen pizza industry is popular due to the changing lifestyles and food preferences of younger demographics. This is largely in part due to its relative simplicity – it has a long shelf life, and is extremely convenient to make. With many young adults living exceedingly busy lives, Millennials and Gen Z adults turn to frozen pizza as an alternative to cooking or ordering out.
Below, we address some of the main features that currently define the industry and market trends.
How Big is the Frozen Pizza Market? What is the Frozen Pizza Market Growth?
- Globally, the frozen pizza market was estimated to be at $20.7 billion in 2020 with a 3.2% compound annual growth rate. By 2027, the industry is projected to be at $25.2 billion.
- North America remains the largest market for frozen pizzas globally at 35%. Asia Pacific markets are predicted to have the fastest compound annual growth rate at 4%.
What Segment Constitutes the Largest Frozen Pizza Market Share?
- Regular frozen pizza holds the largest product segment with a market share of over 40%, with medium frozen pizza estimated to be the product segment with the fastest growth.
- Hotels, restaurants, and cafes are the largest distribution channel segment at 55% in the United States. However, online sales of frozen pizzas are beginning to make headway thanks to shopping and delivery services that were popularized in 2020.
What Factors Are Driving the Frozen Pizza Industry?
- The biggest factor influencing the frozen pizza industry at large is the demand for ready-to-eat (RTE) foods, as well as new product launches.
- Vegetable toppings are becoming increasingly popular as a main topping.
The frozen pizza industry continues to grow with each passing year, although the methods by which customers are purchasing pizza is changing. Millennials have a strong preference for ordering pizzas at restaurants vs. eating at home – according to Toast Inc., 78% of millennials prefer spending their money on the restaurant experience. More people are also purchasing frozen pizzas online as opposed to grocery stores. Frozen pizza manufacturers should take note as the ways in which people buy food grow more diverse.
Manufacturers should also pay attention to the changing tastes of their customer base. While cheese pizza is always going to be a classic option, customers are seeking healthier alternatives such as vegetable toppings or gluten-free crust. While classics such as cheese pizza will always remain popular, it is more important than ever to pay attention to where the market is moving.
Although the demand for frozen pizzas is growing globally, the most popular markets remain in North America. Growth is faster for younger customer demographics.
Frozen Pizza Automation with Quantum
The frozen pizza industry trends in 2021 shows an optimistic portrait of the market at large. Demand continues to grow, and with it, your food manufacturing will need to keep pace.
Quantum is a leading provider in automation for the food manufacturing industry. While our specialty lies in frozen pizzas, we are also known for providing automation solutions for frozen foods and baked goods. Food manufacturers who embrace automation tend to see an ROI in as little as 24 months.
Are you ready to see the Quantum difference? Contact us today for more information about our services.